Monday, April 19, 2010

.com shaadi

It’s the season of marriages in my family. As a precursor to the marriages, I have seen matchmaking from close quarters and I continue to be amazed by the concept of arranged marriages. It’s easier these days thanks to the matrimony websites. I am going to make a few observations that can appear fatal generalizations, but I may just come up with sufficient data to prove my point.

Going by the profiles, eighty percent of the alliance seekers are fair complexioned. The percentage increases in case of the fairer sex (pun intended). That explains why fair and lovely and fair and handsome and other bleaching agents have been doing great business in India. Perfect euphemism for the remaining 20 percent comes in the form of the categorization ‘wheatish’.

Not everyone is a photoshop expert. Ignoring this simple fact leads to horrendous results. Let’s remember “Expert ka kaam expert par chhodna chahiye”. On a better note, let’s understand that photo editors have no business aiding a search for the perfect partner.

Any connection to the U.S or U.K is flaunted. It’s great if the prospect or the parents are settled there. A photo with starbucks in the background is pure gold. This not being the case, it does no harm if the profile mentions in bold that the prospect’s distant uncle’s third cousin is settled in New Jersey or London. In the worst case scenario, it may pay if you let people know that your favourite movie is Namaste London or London Dreams or Chalo America.

Exclude the textbooks and ‘Five point someone’ is the only book that you have read, but reading is definitely listed in hobbies. Textbooks remind me that the U.S/U.K scenario holds good for IIT/IIM as well.

Borrowing a cliche, I would say that I have touched just the tip of the iceberg. Before I sign off, I would like to state the disclaimer that all the information above was obtained during my altruistic attempts to help my cousins catch the perfect match.

6 comments:

  1. Now that you know the tricks of the game...bat your way to 'Mate-ri-money'.... ;-)


    P.s: IPL ko koso...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mate cool..Money cooler..both together would be bliss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you seem to be picking up the tricks of the trade...and know what to look for exactly on the site ;) ... and ur line on Namaste London and foreign dreams LOL :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Raj...I am picking up the tricks of the trade uncomfortably fast. he he he

    ReplyDelete
  5. nandy..you seem to have seen people lining up to have that elusive starbucks snap taken :)

    ReplyDelete

Pleasure. You are visitor number: